Make your Reservation Today For An Elevated View of Saugatuck and Lake Michigan on the Star of Saugatuck!
Sit back and relax – listen to the water running off the paddlewheels as you gently glide down the Kalamazoo River. See Saugatuck from the water, a totally different view from what you see on land, and take in the majesty of Lake Michigan.
Take one of our many daytime cruises, or go for a sunset cruise taking in the beauty of a sunset on Lake Michigan. Snack bars onboard serve cold pop, water, or if you prefer a beer, glass of wine or mixed drink and chips or candy to snack on.
It’s fun for all ages – children see boats of every shape size, and you never know when we’ll see a fox, deer, or possibly a bald eagle! Our narrations are fun and informative! It’s an opportunity to “escape” all the pressures of daily life, and take in the natural beauty of the area. It’s a time to enjoy the pleasure of friends and family who have come with you on the trip; you may even make some “new friends” along the way!
The Star II is U.S. Coast Guard certified and annually inspected, and has all its safety equipment onboard – 100% adult and child life jackets, ship-to-shore radios, cell phone, and radar equipped.
We are dedicated to offering our guests an enjoyable experience they will remember for a long time. A big part of that is our responsibility to protect the health and safety of our “Star” staff, valued guests and the community in which we live.
We have always taken serious measures to maintain the health and safety of those we serve, in these difficult times we find it equally as important to ramp up those efforts. We have significantly increased the frequency of our sanitation in all areas with particular emphasis on “hot spots” (door handles, soap and paper towel dispensers, etc.) by using a sanitizing solution recommended by the CDC.
We have communicated to our team that the overall health and safety of our operation begins with them. They have all been instructed in the guidelines and information provided by the Health Department regarding COVID-19 in the workplace.
Now more than ever, we must come together with patience and support for one another. We look forward to cruising with you this season.
The Saugatuck Chain Ferry, Diane, is the only remaining hand cranked chain ferry of its kind remaining in the United States. Diane is guided across the Kalamazoo River by a chain that is connected to both sides. It is hand cranked by trained operators and departs each dock every 10-15 minutes based on demand. The chains have a considerable amount of slack built into them, in order to sink below the surface as the ferry moves away, allowing other vessels to pass without becoming grounded or trapped.
To make your experience more enjoyable, please read:
- All cruises run on Eastern time and leave the dock on time
- Cruises are apx. 90 min long unless otherwise specified & are subject to change
- Entering Lake Michigan is at the Captain’s discretion based on weather conditions
- Allow extra time for parking, it can be a challenge (see info on Interurban below)
- We cruise rain or shine, unless there is lightning
- No refunds unless we cancel the cruise
- Concessions are cash only on the boat, ATM on site
- The lower level is wheelchair accessible
- We have two restrooms on board
- Seating is on a first come, first served basis
- Groups must be present & together
- We have two bars serving drinks & snacks aboard
- Drinking age in MI is 21 yrs old, must have a valid ID
- Shirt & shoes required, pants too
- NO outside food or beverages allowed, not even water
- NO pets, no matter how cute and small
- NO weapons allowed – bags are subject to search
- NO smoking or vaping
- NO strollers, you may leave them in the building
- If you need transportation to get to the Star of Saugatuck, please contact the Interurban, a demand response public bus system providing transportation for Saugatuck, Douglas and Saugatuck Township. For bus information visit: http://www.saugatuckinterurban.org/
Enjoy One of Our Fantastic Themed Cruises or Reserve a Group Charter!
Just click on a theme below for more information and to reserve your place today.
Share your photos with us by using the hashtag #PaddledInSaugy!
What People Are Saying…
A Beautiful Boat Ride tour of the nice houses along the River and a trip out into Lake Michigan . Didn’t do the sunset cruise but I am sure it’s awesome . Nice courteous staff on Board the Boat . Highly recommend.
Lovely excursion on Lake Michigan. 90 minute tour. Staff were all very welcoming. Appreciated being on the upper level and in the open air. Beautiful Michigan sunset scenery. I liked the music mix – 60s, 70s, 80s classic R&B and Pop. Thinking of coming back in the Fall to get a view of Michigan arrayed in her Autumn Glory.
Fun activity to do if you’re visiting the west side of Michigan. The paddle cruise boat is in great condition and the crew gives safety checks. The scenery is beautiful and you cannot believe how gorgeous the sunsets are out on the water.